Here is my month 6 roundup, which apparently I can no longer call the “Roatan Roundup” since month 5 and 6 I haven’t even been in Roatan…
Today marks half a year away from Vancouver. HALF A YEAR YOU GUYS! This is the longest I’ve ever been away from Canada! I am forgetting what poutine tastes like and how to build igloos. (Jokes, people. Okay, only joking about the igloo part. I fuckin love poutine. And I would really like some right now.)
Month 6 was mostly spent in Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and the Bahamas, which in January/February is not a bad set up as far as I can tell….sorry to everyone who lives in the snow. It was a weird time where I was alone a lot in a city where I only knew a couple people. I went to school and completed a basic safety course and stewardess training so that I could look for work on yachts, I learned how to ride a scooter, and I felt cold in 20 C weather for the first time in my life (#spoiled?)!
Here’s what I did:
- came out from hiding and gave a full rundown of my Caribbean trip on the megayacht that picked me up in Roatan on Christmas Eve (which was the longest post I ever wrote, but there are lots of photos, don’t worry!)
- got a little personal after having to explain to people that being an expat doesn’t guarantee happiness, and that I make a lot of sacrifices to live this lifestyle
- celebrated my 100th post and had a day of adventure with Dana from Our Wanderlust in Miami Beach
- shared some funny search terms people used to end up at my blog
- surprised myself at feeling really homesick for Roatan after being away nearly a month (now it’s almost two months, and I’m missing it even more!)
- started my basic safety course for yacht crew and had a blast
- finished my yacht stewardess course, watched the SuperBowl in America (weird) and got a new scooter that I was extremely excited about
- reminded myself and all of you that we’re awesome, and don’t forget it!
I’m currently in Nassau, Bahamas and have a trip report coming about my time here. I’m leaving in a couple days and will be spending a few more days in Fort Lauderdale getting my things together, and then I am thrilled to report that on the 17th I will be flying back to Roatan!!
Lots of big posts coming in the next few days so be sure to follow my feed on here, or on Twitter, or enter your email in the box on the left sidebar to subscribe to my posts by email.
For now though, I’m headed out to do a little more of this: